Visakhapatnam Port Trust (VPT) plans to rope in a Delhi-based consultant firm, Aecom, for preparing a detailed feasibility report (DFR) for the proposed satellite port at Bheemili.
In 6 months time, the consultant firm may submit its report after studying topographical, hydrological and other relevant aspects like projected traffic after two decades.
VPT wants to set up the satellite port at Bheemili, 28 km away from Visakhapatnam in order to decongest its traffic.
Aecom will also prepare DFR for the proposed fishing harbour at Bheemili. VPT officials are hopeful that the proposed port may come into operation in 3 to 5 years from now.
On the lines of Ennore Port, which is a satellite port to Chennai major port, VPT planned to set up the port at Bheemili.
VPT handles around 68 million tonne of cargo every year and it is expected to touch 100 million tonne in coming years which necessitated setting up a satellite port.
Ennore Port, located about 24 km north of Chennai Port, is the only corporatised major port and is registered as a company.
The centre holds a stake of about 68 per cent in the Ennore Port and the remaining 32 per cent is held by the Chennai Port Trust (CPT). VPT will begin operations with an initial cargo handling capacity of 15-20 million tonne at Bheemili port.