Amit Gupta, CEO, Pipelines and Terminals, Essar Projects, says trenchless technology has only proved cost-effective selectively.
What are the perils of having a pipeline exposed to tampering and pilferage?
An exposed pipeline encouÂnters the following hurdles:
- There is a high probability of coating damage which would consequently accelerate the corrosion rate and subsequently reduce the life of metal.
- There may be a chance of physical damage to pipe on exposed metal surface which would significantly incrÂease the risk of pipe getting burst at such locations.
- Any utility laid along with the pipeline may get stolen, which would shut down the remote operation and moniÂtoring system of the pipeline.
Do you believe trenchless pipelines can be a solution to land problems in pipelines?
Trenchless pipelines cannot be a solution or an alterÂnative to skip land problems in pipelines. Laying of pipelines with trenchless technology also requires land for string preÂparation and equipment set up.
Basic use of various trenchless methods is for laying of pipeline in areas as below:
- Water bodies-perennial rivers, huge canals, longer secÂtion of water bodies etc which otherwise cannot be crossed by conventional open cut methods.
- Roads and highways where continuous heavy vehicular movement cannot be obstructed.
- Urban areas wherein habitation is heavy and accessibility is a big constraint.
- Drain systems which cannot be interrupted.
- Shorter length of pipeline section.
For cross country pipelines (more than 50 km), conÂventional method of excavation and backfilling is the most economic method for laying. However, for city pipelines this method can be suitably adopted.
Are trenchless pipelines cost-effective?
The trenchless technology is an option used for a small length of pipeline section wherein accessibility comes at a high premium cost. The trenchless technology is specialised and expensive method adopted suitably at selected locations only. The cost effectiveness of this technology can be obtÂained only at suitable locations.